EMC ScaleIO is a software-defined solution that uses your existing hardware or EMC servers to turn existing DAS storage into shared block storage.
Here are few facts:
- A Software defined storage (SDS) product from EMC
- It creates a server-based storage area network(SAN) from local application server storage
- It converts direct-attached storage into shared block storage
- It uses exsiting host-based internal storage to create a scalable, high-performance, low-cost server SAN
- ScaleIO can scale from three compute/storage nodes to over 1,000 nodes
- It can drive up to 240 million IOPS of performance.
- ScaleIO can be deployeds
- as storage only
- as a converged infrastructure combining storage, computational and network resources into a single block
Concepts for Software Defined storage (SDS)
Tranditional storage management is too complex and inefficient:
Traditional Storage Pain Points:
- Application mapped to specific applicance
- Storage resources optimized to run specific workload
- Isolated storage resources
Challenges of Traditional Challenges:
- Cose more to manage diverse storage solutions
- Data growth
- Maintenance, Operations & Support
- Vendor lock-in (套牢)
- Limited scalability
- Not flexiable for innovation
- Need for massively shared data
What is SDI (Software Defined Infrastructure)
Service Assurance (保证)
- Automatically deploy and maintains:
- intelligent monitoring to trigger dynamic provisioning
- service assurance as application
- Based on requirements of an applicaiton to perform
- orchestration provisions
- allocate resources optimally
- resources are abstracted into resouce pools. E.g.
- Compute elements
SDS - A Key Component of SDI
SDS is a framework that delivers a scalable, cost-effective solution to serve the needs of tomorow’s data center
- Abstracting software from hardware, providing flexibility& scalability
- Aggregating(汇总) diverse provider solutions, increasing flexibility and drive down costs
- Provisioning resources dynamically (Pay-as-you-grow) increasing efficiency
- Orchestrating application access to diverse atorage systems through Service Level Agreements(SLAs), increasing flexibility and handle data complexity
Service assurance (SA)
- a procedure or set of procedures intended to optimize performance
- provide management guidance in communications networks, media services and end-user applications.
- Service assurance is an all-encompassing paradigm that revolves around the idea that maximizing customer satisfaction inevitably maximizes the long-term profitability of an enterprise.
 Delivering a standards based SDS Framework with an Open Stack SDS Controller Implementation
 What is Service Assurance
EMC Day 3: ScaleIO – Unleashed for the world!
EMC ScaleIO Wiki